There is no such thing as too many books. All of us could use more books in our lives. If you’re itching to get a new book or simply want to hang out at a bookstore and breathe the scent of ink of paper, here is a list of offbeat bookstores your old-soul bibliophile self will love.
In the foot strip that is Maginhawa in Teachers Village is an unassuming nook called Bookay-Ukay. It’s a tiny space crammed with mostly secondhand books. Coming here feels like a visit to someone’s personal library – warm staff, homey feels, and well-worn book covers. If you’re lucky, you might be able to score some rare and unique reads!
- Business name: Bookay-Ukay
- Address: #78 Maginhawa st. Teachers Village East, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines 1101
- Contact/ phone: 0950 358 2874
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bookayukay/
- Operating hours: Daily from 3 pm to 11 pm
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/P6o6nFGbvR1gRLN59
Owned by National Artist for Literature F. Sionil Jose, Solidaridad Bookshop houses Filipiniana titles and cultural works most of which you’ll never find anywhere else. It’s located in Ermita, in the backpacker’s district, so a good grub place is never out of reach. If you’re also into museums (which we’re sure you are) this bookshop is also near the National Museum complex. Books and museums? Sounds like the best pairing in the world.
- Business name: Solidaridad Bookshop
- Address: 531 Padre Faura St, Ermita, Manila, 1000 Metro Manila
- Contact/ phone: (02) 8254 1068
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/solidaridadbookshop/
- Operating hours: Daily from 9 am to 6 pm
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/8NodErpChu9suMC
Of course we’re not going to diss the digital world just because we love books. So here’s an online bookstore for you antisocial, introverted bookworms out there. Bookturnal makes it easier for bibliophiles-on-the-go to get their hauls. You can browse from their collection on Facebook, and you may also request for titles. It offers the joy of getting a new book without having to deal with people. Because sometimes books are better companions.
- Business name: Bookturnal Philippines
- Address: #17 Pook Ricarte, UP Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines 1101
- Contact/ phone: 0933 924 2670
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bookturnalph/
- Operating hours: Information unavailable
Chapter IX Bookstore & Gallery
Once located in Manila, this local bookstore now resides in a nondescript commercial building in Santa Maria, Bulacan. Artist and bibliophile Gary Montenegro offers a well-curated collection of classics, hard-to-find titles, rare gems, and even author-signed hardbound and paperback books in the shop. The books are surprisingly affordable, considering that almost all are in very good condition.
- Business name: Chapter IX Bookstore & Gallery
- Address: Paso, Bagbaguin, Santa Maria, Bulacan
- Contact: +63 925 682 5005
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/chapterninebooks
- Operating hours: Tuesday to Thursday 2 pm to 6 pm. Better to contact first as bookstore sometimes closes without prior notice
Have you got any favorite indie or secret bookstore? Share it in the comments!