Missing going to the movies? Now you wouldn’t have to.
SM Cinema is bringing in the country’s first drive-in movie experience to avid movie viewers as it launches a drive-in theater in SM City Pampanga Amphitheater in San Fernando, Pampanga! The event will kick off on July 31, 2020 at 5:30 PM, with the showing of Train to Busan 2.
Promising “#SafeAndFunMovieWatching from the comfort of their own cars”, this new experience brings back the nostalgia of drive-in theaters, which flourished in the 1940s.
How does it work?
SM viewers can now enjoy movies through an elevated 20×8 screen in the privacy of their cars while ensuring safe social distancing as required by the IATF.
Cars must have working FM radios. If not, they are advised to bring a radio or devices with FM capabilities. They will be instructed to tune in to a specific frequency, which will broadcast the movie’s sounds straight to their vehicles.
Movies will be screened on weekends only (Fridays to Sundays). There will be two movie screenings per day: one at 5:30PM and another at 8:20PM. Viewers can come as early as 4:30 PM. Guests will be assigned a designated parking spot.
Movie lineup is released on SM Cinema’s social media accounts a week before screening. To see the list of upcoming movies and buy tickets, visit SM’s Drive-In Cinema page here.
The venue can accommodate 80 to 90 cars at a time. In accordance to IATF rules, only enclosed vehicles with windows sedans/ cars, SUVs, and vans) are allowed. Motorbikes and jeepneys are not allowed.
A maximum of 4 guests shall be allowed per vehicle.
Ticket is sold per person (not per vehicle) at P400 each, inclusive of a Snack Time bundle (one bottled water, regular popcorn, and beef franks). Other concessionaires will be made available on site. For ordering details, check “other important reminders” below.
All tickets must be purchased online through SM Cinema’s website. No ticket will be sold at the venue.
To get updates about the drive-in cinema, go to SM City Pampanga’s Facebook page.
Other important reminders by SM Cinema:
- Guests are required to present their electronic tickets with QR code for scanning at the entrance.
- Only guests ages 21 to 59 will be allowed entry.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Food providers will be available at the venue. Guests will be provided a separate menu. They will, be provided a flag upon entry, which they will raise if they wish to order. An attendant will come to take and serve their orders.
- No outside food or beverages can be brought in.
- Traffic marshals will be present on site to guide guests to their designated spots.
- To avoid disruptions, guests who come in later than the first 30 minutes since screening began will not be allowed entry. No refund shall be offered for latecomers.
- Guests are allowed to leave before the movie ends. However, no refund will be offered.
- Refunds will be allowed only in the case of extreme weather conditions, irreparable technical malfunctions, and early cancellations due to the said conditions. Viewers also have the option to rebook to another screening schedule.