For city folks longing to escape the Metro for a short break up north, Pampanga is an ideal stop-over destination. The province is often touted as the heart of Filipino religion and cuisine. However, exploring and trying out every single resto or food shack in the province just to get a full experience can be costly and unnecessarily time-consuming. This doesn’t have to be the case – as whether you’re a traveller on a tight budget, or a student on a much-awaited road trip with your barkada, great food and fun travels should be for everyone.
With that, here are five stops in Angeles City that can give you a cheap, yet satisfying bite-sized experience of Kapampangan food and culture.
Eggs ‘n’ Brekky
This all-day breakfast café is a local gem, known for their heavy servings of both American and Filipino breakfast favourites – and because their food is a good bang for the buck, this spot is famous among students. You’ll likely see them still in their uniforms, carbo-loading with pastas and silog meals while chitchatting with friends or reading their lecture notes. They also serve coffee and non-coffee drinks, perfect for that early morning sugar rush or quick caffeine fix.
Prices range from 49 to 99 Php. We personally recommend their saucy Chicken Parmigiana and sweet-and-savory Chicken ‘n’ Waffles. Definitely give those a try!
- Business name: Eggs ‘n’ Brekky All-Day Breakfast Café
- Address: 2611 McArthur Highway, Balibago, Angeles, Pampanga
- Operating hours: 6:00am – 11:00pm
- FB page link: https://www.facebook.com/eggsnbrekky/
- Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/FGTQGzVk3yKQfjsw9
Pancake ni Juan
Showcasing Kapampangan ingenuity and uniqueness, Pancake ni Juan offers Filipino-style pancakes along with freshly brewed, flavour-infused iced teas. Their pancakes are filled to the brim with savory toppings, from bacon and cheese to shrimp and veggies, crabsticks salad, beef with oyster sauce, and more.
Prices range anywhere from 39 to 85 Php. It’s hard to find their peculiar and oddly delicious food combinations anywhere else – and you’ll definitely be wishing you can have them again for your brunches and meryendas back home!
- Business name: Pancake ni Juan
- Address: G/F Robinsons Angeles, 2009 MacArthur Highway, Angeles, Pampanga
- Operating hours: 10:00am – 9:00pm
- FB page link: https://www.facebook.com/pg/juan.pancake/
- Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/x4rVtPW6wsUL4axW8
Located right beside the vintage and historical structure of Museo Ning Angeles, Café Museo is a seasonal delight open only during the cold and festive “Ber” months. Their small outdoor spot offers a scenic view of the Holy Rosary Parish, as well as the sight of brick sidewalks, capiz shell-windowed houses, and click-clacking Kalesas all over Plaza Angel – making you feel as if you’ve travelled back in time.
Enjoy a cup of their classic, heartwarming Suklating Batirul for only 75 Php, and grab some puto-bumbong or bibingka from the stalls nearby. Listen to church bells, singing choirs, and children’s laughter all around. Café Museo is a place where you’ll surely feel the Christmas spirit brimming and alive!
- Business name: Café Museo
- Address: Plaza Angel, Santo Rosario St, Angeles, Pampanga
- Operating hours: 5:00pm until late
- Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/CY7XfzRTkccBknJY6
HealthWISE Bakeshop and Café
Who says Filipino food can’t be veganized?
Here at HealthWISE, you’ll be able to try 100% meat and dairy-free versions of your favourite comfort food, such as Tapsilog, Kare-kare, Barbecue, Burgers, and Sisig. Have them with refreshing fruit juices and shakes, or perk up your day with their hot Brown Rice Coffee and Malunggay tea.
Everything is priced anywhere from 48 to 158 Php. They also sell various frozen products, meat substitutes, condiments, and their very own, freshly-baked, vegan and gluten-free breads. Should you have any requests or questions about your food, feel free to ask their warm and friendly staff! They’ll make sure to give you the best, most satisfying vegan café experience possible.
- Business name: HealthWISE Bakeshop and Café
- Address: The Yard Complex, Pandan Rd, Angeles, Pampanga
- Operating hours: 10am – 8:00pm
- FB page link: https://www.facebook.com/healthwisebyjenm/
- Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/jywMmUNpLGTiwH6c6
Mila’s Tokwa’t Baboy and Sisig
A visit to Pampanga cannot be complete without having a taste of the fabled, iconic, and authentic Kapampangan Sisig. The dish is every bit as good as the reviews make it out to be. Having doubts? Just ask the massive, star-studded wall of fame at Mila’s.
Taking pride in the spirit of family dining and traditions, Mila’s mainly serves ulam dishes for sharing, with prices ranging from 45 to 350 Php. Apart from the famous Sisig, Mila’s also specializes in other lutong bahay and pulutan favourites such as Beef Kaldereta, Tokwa’t Baboy, Crispy Pata, and our personal favourite, Paco Salad. Complete your meals with ice-cold beer and some good old talks and reminiscing on the side. We can assure you that this is a place you and your family or barkada wouldn’t want to miss!
- Business Name: Mila’s Tokwa’t Baboy
- Address: St., Brgy. San Angelo, San Andres St, Angeles, Pampanga
- Operating hours: 7am–9pm
- Google maps link: https://g.page/milas-tokwat-baboy?share