Baguio City, the City of Pines, is a favorite destination of foodies. There’s really something about the freshness of the fruits and vegetables used in local cuisine and the cooler weather that makes dining out in Baguio an amazing experience.
If you’re planning to head up to the “Summer Capital” for a quick road trip weekend soon, skip the fast-food joints and big name franchised restaurants in malls and support the local homegrown establishments instead. Here are a few must-visit restaurants around the city for an authentic Baguio food trip.
Café by the Ruins
Café by the Ruins is a well-loved quaint café known for serving contemporary Asian cuisine using natural and local ingredients from the region. Specialties include Baguio Bagnet with Padas Bagoong, Carabao Cheese Salad, Strawberry Smoothie and home-brewed Tapuey (highland rice wine). They also sell like freshly baked bread like kamote bread, basil bread, sour dough loaves and baguettes, ensaymada and frozen goods like Baguio bagnet, Ruins Longanisa and Ruins tapa, ideal for take-out.
- Business name: Cafe by the Ruins
- Address: 25 Chuntug Street, Baguio City, Benguet
- Contact number: 0927-9574172
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cafebytheruinsph/
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/rCLLRgQePVbCybaJ7
Farmer’s Daughter Restaurant
For those looking for authentic Cordilleran cuisine, you might want to try dining at Farmer’s Daughter Restaurant in Tam-awan Village. This native restaurant serves home-cooked regional cuisine centered on smoked meats, fresh vegetables and native wines. Cordilleran specialties include Pinikpikan, etag (sun-dried smoked meat) and pinuneg (sauteed ibaloi sausages). For a good dessert option for takeout, they serve cheesecake samplers, with slices of assorted favorite flavors like Ube, Blueberry, Peanut Brittle, Strawberry and Avocado.
- Business name: Farmer’s Daughter Restaurant
- Address: Tam-awan Village, Long Long Road, Benguet Road, Baguio City, Beguet
- Contact number: (074) 661 4384
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/farmersdaughterofficial/
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/FXrPbT7pPuYvRuYD6
Plakafé is a relatively new addition to the vibrant Baguio food scene, which will definitely appeal to audiophiles, art-lovers and locavores. This homegrownBaguio coffee shop that doubles as a vinyl record shops, uses upcycled materials in their eclectic décor. The family-friendly cafe serves Filipino comfort food like lumpia, pancit, goto, rice bowls, mini-pizzas and more. For drinks, try their coffee brewed with fresh Baguio coffee beans, Malagos hot chocolate and craft beer from Cerveza Sagada infused with local ingredients like Sagada oranges and balitinao heirloom red rice from the Mountain Province.
- Business name: Plakafe
- Address:Plakafe, 2/F Baguio Lefern Hotel, 45 North Drive Road, Engineer’s Hill, Baguio City
- Contact number: (074) 4221818
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/plakartcoffee/
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/JZyQRZ5XeJHAX8Jr6
Baguio Craft Brewery
No trip to Baguio is complete without passing by Baguio Craft Brewery, Baguio’s very own microbrewery. Since they opened their tasting room in 2015, this bar has become a favorite watering hole of locals and tourists visiting the Cordillera region. Go on a craft beer tasting adventure with unique home brews like Lagud Strawberry Beer, Rolling Fog Wheat Ale, Kalayaan Red IPA, Keywheat (Kiwi Wheat Ale), Zigzagger (Triple-Hopped Double India Pale Ale) and more. You can also find SpeakEasy by BCB, a secret bar on the premises, where you can enjoy wines, cocktails and whiskeys with a unique vintage atmosphere.
- Business name: Baguio Craft Brewery
- Address: 4 Ben Palispis Hwy, KM 4, Baguio City, Benguet
- Contact number: (074) 620-2278
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BaguioCraftBrewery/
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/Nf6AGYvASt6HFN556
If you’re looking for that nostalgic “old Baguio” feels, make your way to Craft 1945, a heritage house turned restaurant located near the Baguio Country Club. Craft 1945 dishes out Spanish favorites from Casa Marcos like paella, gambas, mushroom adobo, calamares, and pasta dishes alongside a selection of craft beers by Baguio Craft Brewery. For a fun dining experience, sample the different beers on tap before ordering a glass to pair with your meal.
- Business name: Craft 1945
- Address: 8 Outlook Drive S, Baguio City, Benguet
- Contact number: 0906-2213615
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/craft1945/
- Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/pgBBhTsEtHCbG1PT7