As one of the best surfing destinations in the country, La Union is not lacking in the tourism department. Its accessibility from Manila coupled with its laidback island vibes make it favorite getaway for weekend warriors. In addition to this, the selection of food places is so varied, no palate or diet will get left behind.
The La Union crowd is a special kind of crowd. You could say it’s boho and hippie. So, for a foodtrip in La Union that would satisfy the Flower Child in you, here is a list of the best restaurants in La Union to visit.
Barefoot at Le Pointe
All hippies have no problem going barefoot. In fact, most of them prefer it! So Barefoot the restaurant in La Union hits the mark by not only naming it as such but also making the place invoke the feeling of being barefoot – laidback, connected, relaxed. It is the in-house restaurant of Monaliza Surf Resort so it’s really not at all surprising. This place serves “instagrammable” food for the soul: colorful rice bowls for just about two hundred bucks.
- Business name: Barefoot at Le Pointe
- Address: Monaliza, Surf Resort, San Juan, La Union
- Contact: 0920 906 9741
- Operating hours: Thursday to Monday 8 am to 2 pm
- Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/Brznsd8FkCqtviTZ7
Papa Bear is one of the “eco-friendly, community-centered, and design-forward” food places in the Great Northwest Philippines Travel Stop and Viewing Deck. This strip not only boasts hip cafe and restaurants in La Union but also offer a front row seat to the beautiful seascape of La Union. Papa Bear is a smokehouse that serves Asian fusion dishes. Enjoy the salty ocean breeze with the popular “What the Pho”.
- Business name: Papa Bear
- Address: The Great Northwest Philippines Travel Stop and Viewing Deck Mac Arthur Hwy Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union
- Contact: 0917 591 9898
- Operating hours: Friday to Sunday 10 am to 10 pm; Monday, Wednesday and Friday 11 am to 10 pm. Closed on Tuesdays.
- Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/Y66DHXibTwxp8Se6A
Buhay Gulay is a vegetarian-friendly place that serves farm-to-table dishes. If you find veganism or vegetarianism intimidating, Buhay Gulay will make you feel at ease. The place whips up dishes for only about a hundred bucks, breaking the notion that eating plant-based is expensive. Some of their best dishes are Beanuguan, and Vegan Kare-kare. All of the meals are served with homegrown red rice grown from a local farm! Value for money indeed!
- Business name: Buhay Gulay
- Address: San Fernando, La Union
- Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/VwKE7QPz9dXeCsfRA
Healthy Chops is a buffet restaurant in Rosario, La Union. What sets it apart from other places is its “curated” spread. The food on offer does not use MSG, and there are no meat dishes. The choices are either vegetables or fish. Perfect for plant-powered hippies! Healthy Chops is also a favorite spot for celebrations so if you’re planning to have a hippie party, you might consider having it here.
- Business name: Healthy Chops
- Address: Rosario, La Union
- Operating hours: Sunday to Friday 10 am to 3 pm; 4 pm to 8 pm. Closed on Saturdays.
- Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/FPwxujdGZZv3Pof78
Tagpuan sa San Juan
Tagpuan translates to “rendezvous point” in the local language, and this cozy nook is indeed a great place to meet up. It’s one of the cheapest places to eat in La Union, but don’t let the price tag fool you into thinking the food is subpar. Serving classic Pinoy favorites like tapsilog, liempo, and mami, you can get a meal here for as low as fifty pesos.
- Business name: Tagpuan sa San Juan
- Address: Urbiztondo Rd, San Juan, La Union
- Contact: 0956 661 7996
- Operating hours: Thursday to Sunday 8 am to 2 pm; Monday 8 am to 12 am; Wednesday 6 pm to 12 am. Closed on Tuesdays.
- Google Maps link: https://g.page/tagpuansj?share
Do you have any favorite places to eat La Union? Comment them below.