Planning for your post-quarantine trip? Why not take a trip to the provinces and help out the locals while getting lost in the dance of the fireflies?
Flocking to dense trees and glistening rivers, watch these insects sparkle through the summer night in these 4 beautiful firefly watch destinations!
1. Ogod River – Donsol, Sorsogon
Cruising down the Ogod River, guests make their way to a remote part of town where the thick vegetation attracts thousands of fireflies every night. Surely, it would be a peaceful boat ride, complete with interesting stories on how these insects are connected with the presence of whale sharks that populate the Donsol river every summer.
Tour packages are available on the Donsol EcoTour website for approximately ₱1,250 for 5 people. It includes the 2-3 hour boat ride, tricycle transfers, tour guide, and registration fees. Feel free to check out the rest of the interesting tours they offer as well!
- Business Name: Donsol EcoTour
- Address (Makati): G-21 Cityland Makati Executive Tower 2, Dela Rosa St.,Makati, Philippines
- Address (Legazpi): G/F The Oriental Hotel Legazpi, Sto. Niño Village, Taysan Hills, Legazpi City, Philippines
- Contact Number (Telephone): (+63 2) 8893 8173 / (+63 2) 7576 5934
- Contact Number (Mobile): (+63 995) 579 2671 / (+63 917) 506 3554
- Website Link
- Facebook Link
2. Iwahig River – Puerto Princesa, Palawan
With dense groves of Mangrove trees, Iwahig River is another favorite firefly destination spectacle. Not only are visitors given the chance of communicating with these creatures but there is an opportunity to have a delicious seafood dinner filled with local delicacies before setting off on the boat ride. Good food, amazing scenery, a night of wonder, what more could you ask for?
GoPalawan offers a nighttime firefly watching tour inclusive of an air-conditioned van and boat transferring services, a licensed tour guide and dinner for ₱1,300 per adult, and ₱1,100 per child aged 2-5. Though the boat ride is about 30-45 minutes, the beauty of the night and the fresh food makes it all worth it.
- Business Name: GoPalawan
- Address: 3rd Flr. ODC Bldg., Donada St. Pasay City, Philippines
- Contact Numbers: +63 (2) 788 5697 / 09173939460 / 09077882480
- Operating Hours 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Monday to Friday/ 10:00AM – 2:00PM (Saturday)
- Website Link
3. Ticao Island Resort – Masbate
Traveling to a remote island to experience the grace of the fireflies would surely be worth your while. With more to the area than just fireflies, spending a few days there is definitely encouraged especially when guests could kayak around the resort for free.
Ticaw Island Resort not only offers the Firefly River Tour (₱300 per person) that lasts up to two hours, but they give guests the option to participate with the local village in shrimp and crab catching (₱600 per person). Those interested could contact the resort directly but, since they have affiliations with Donsol EcoTour, you can choose to book through their site.
- Business Name: Ticao Island Resort
- Address: Sitio Tacdugan, San Jacinto, Ticao Island, Masbate, Philippines
- Contact Numbers (Reservations Office): +632 893 8173 / +63-917-506-3554
- Tical Island Resort Site Link
- Donsol EcoTour Link
- Click here for: Google Maps Link